Seafarers and qualifications – AMSA Info

Working on a ship in Australia
All domestic seafarers in Australia are regulated under the Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessels) National Law Act 2012.

If you work on a vessel in Australia and carry out any commercial activity, the National Law applies to you. If you work on an international vessel in Australian waters, or any vessel that operates internationally, the Navigation Act 2012 applies to you.


Before you can work on a domestic commercial vessel in Australia, you will need to get a Certificate of Competency. This proves you are capable to master a vessel and its passengers.

More information is available on the following pages:

Obtaining your qualification
Sea time and taskbooks
Training Organisations 
International Qualification recognition
Guidance Notice To candidates

Training Resources

Splash Maritime Training by Ranger Hope is for maritime students and teachers.

Ranger is a Master (vessels <80 mtrs and Med1), Yachtmaster, Rigger and Shipwright, having worked as Marine Rescue Skipper, SAR Training Officer and Maritime Certification Examiner. For quality products, services or consultancy contact: