Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal
This qualification applies to people working in the maritime industry seeking an Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) certificate of competency to command and operate the engines of a vessel:
- <12 m in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard motor or <500 kW for an inboard engine
- that is in coastal waters or designated waters
- as a tender or auxiliary vessel within three nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
This qualification is required to obtain an AMSA certificate of competency as a Coxswain Grade 1 NC as defined in the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) Part D.
AMSA certification will require:
- achieving MAR20321 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- a Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency
- sea service consisting of:
- 30 days qualifying sea service and a completed AMSA approved task book;
- 240 days qualifying sea service
- meeting the medical and eyesight requirements specified in the NSCV Part D and
- An AMSA approved assessor uses the AMSA mandated practical assessment (AMPA) conducted on a commercial vessel ≥5.0 m in length.
Virtual Classrooms via Zoom –
Virtual Classrooms sessions are the same as attending classes except delivered via Zoom.
Classes run six days a week, including Saturdays; each day starts at 0800 and finishes at 1600.
There are allocated course durations for all courses. However, depending on the group, the class may finish sooner.
It is your responsibility to complete your assignments, preferably during the course or prior, if possible.
If you cannot attend a scheduled session, you are required to advise as soon as possible and arrange to catch up in your own time.
As part of the maritime training package, each subject holds a practical assessment, so students MUST Brisbane to complete this.
We cannot issue a certificate without ALL components of the curriculum being satisfied, including the practical assessment.
We offer the practical assessment and AMPA as a collaborative day. Students who choose not to complete their AMPA with us will still need to satisfy this component.
Remote / Flexible –
If you do not have time to attend classes, you can study remotely.
When you have enrolled and paid your course deposit, you will have access to your student portal, which holds all course content and assignments.
You can submit your assignments to your designated assessor and feedback received through the same system.
Remote students are given ten contact hours with their designated assessor to assist them through this process should they need it.
Once Remote students have completed all of their assignments, they will need to contact ECA Maritime College to organise a time to sit their written exams.
As part of the maritime training package curriculum, each course holds a practical assessment component, and students must attend our Brisbane Campus to complete this.